Monday, February 2, 2009

Black History Month Comes to Korea

It's my favorite time of year! The time when schools inexplicably halt normal lessons in order to give a brief recap of slavery as if it were a completely isolated event.

"Hey, let's cram as much history about black people into this month as possible so that we can forget about them for the rest of the year."
~The Man.

So in order to celebrate the black man and bring his culture to Korea, my friend and esteemed co-worker Andrew and I have decided to do as much steroetypically 'black' stuff as possible. This will include starting each day with a healthy dose of 'purple drank,' most likely a grape soda. A weekly to bi-weekly consumption of fried chicken and (the closest thing we can find to 40's) 1.5 liter beers will be the main event of our celebration, capped off with Andrew's decision to switch to Marlboro Menthols from Lights. Furthermore, to ensure the authenticity of our celebration, we plan on hoodwinking our P.C. co-worker Nick into joining us at least once, in order to be the 'appalled white guy.' I think we have all our bases covered, but any suggestions would be helpful.

"And now for something completely different."
~Monty Python

So as some of you may know, the lunar new year just passed. We had a 4 day weekend and boy have I been busy. I went exploring / shopping for three of those days to places called Osan, Dongdaemun, and Insadong. Osan was a trash heap; it was basically a town built around the Army base there, so everything was Americanized. It didn't help that the place was covered in dirty snow. Points of interest; Andrew bought a guitar, and a prostitute tried to pick us up. I laughed and laughed.

Dongdaemun has like 6 huge department stores that all sell the same things and have really aggressive shop owners who won't let you walk by without hassling you and then knocking off 20,000 won for anything you show interest in. It's a cool place, many of you will recieve gifts from there. But only I will be getting the best part - corndogs with french fries battered and fried right onto the stick. Mmmmm mmm. Actually, they're kinda gross, but I had to try it.
And in Insadong, which I have mentioned before, I got to have batting practice in the snow! There is an outdoor batting cage, and pretty much as soon as I stepped up to the plate the snow really started coming down. It was awesome. I may have a picture somewhere, I'll put it on facebook.

I guess that's about it. Winter intensives are almost over so hopefully my schedule will get a bit easier.

"Hey... Wanna go?"
~Osan prostitute

1 comment:

Sue said...

I want to know what you are planning for women's history month. Ya'll boys going to get your periods together?

You met a girl?